Time required: about 1-2 hours
Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate
- brown flannel fabric
- red patchwork fabric
- red checked ribbon
- red ribbon for hanging
- 2 buttons
- 2 black beads for the eyes
- 1 red bead for the nose
- white thread
- basic sewing supplies
1. Print out the gingerbread man pattern and the front vest pattern. Trace one gingerbread man on the brown flannel fabric and trace the front vest twice onto red patchwork fabric (1 side reversed).
2. Cut the vest pieces exactly out.
3. Cut a rectangle around the gingerbread man front. Cut a same size rectangle out of the batting and a same size rectangle out of the brown fabric.
4. Place the backside fabric (the unmarked brown flannel) face down. Then place the batting over it. Then place the front brown flannel fabric (the marked piece) face up. Pin the layers together.
5. Now pin the front vest pieces to the front gingerbread man.
6. Using your sewing machine and red thread, sew the vest onto the gingerbread man using a tight zig-zag stitch.
7. Cut a piece of red ribbon and pin the 2 ends underneath the front fabric layer. This will create the hanging loop. Now using your sewing machine and white thread, sew over the traced lines of the gingerbread man, also using a tight zig-zag stitch.
8. Hand sew on the buttons, the eyes and the nose.
9. Use small cross stitch stitches to do the mouth.
10. Create a small bow with the checked ribbon and sew on to the gingerbread man.
Click here for the gingerbread man template